Established by Honen Shonin in 1175, Jodo Shu is the first independent school of Pure Land Buddhism in Japan. It follows the development of original Buddhism as taught by Shakyamuni Buddha. Over 800 years since the beginning of Jodo Shu, Honen's teachings still continue to develop and to constitute a part of our daily life.
The temple's main hall is called "Hondo". The current main hall was rebuilt in the Keio Period (1865-1867) and was fully renovated in 1995-1997. The kawara tiled rooftop changed to copper sheet roofing during the renovation. The engravings on the bottom edge of the roof are the works of Nuinosuke Goto (1825-unknown)
Kaizando is Hokokuji's multipurpose hall and is rented to the public for ceremonial occasions such as funerals, wakes and memorial services. It is equipped with accommodation and a kitchen for overnight use. A wooden statue of Ryochu Shonin is enshrined inside.
Shoro is the oldest structure in Hokokuji, however it is unknown when it was built. Sadly, the original bell was seized by the government in the Second World War due to shortages of metal. The current bell was made in the 33rd year of Showa (1958). Shoro is open to the public in the Joyanokane service at midnight on New Year's Eve.